This tasty treat contains lots of good fats and it is a nice alternative to dark bittersweet chocolate particularly for those who are sugar free. This is my favourite afternoon snack.
- 2 cups walnuts (210g)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds (80g) + extra if needed
- 5 dates ground (30g
- 1/2 cup raw cacao (60g)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup rice malt syrup
- In a mortar and pestle or food processor grind walnuts until they are mostly ground with a fair few chunks still in tact.
- Place sunflower seeds in a food processor and grind to a powder then add the dates and continue to process until finely chopped.
- Mix the coconut oil, cacao and rice malt syrup into the walnuts then add the sunflower seed mix. If the mixture is too wet, grind up a some more sunflower seeds and add until the mixture is able to hold form.
- Place mixture onto a pice of baking paper and press down until flat and about the thickness of your finger or alternately roll mixture into balls.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before slicing.
Keep slices or balls in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer until ready to eat.
On a personal note….
After making a decision to avoid sugar (fructose) a while back, I have been working on a variety of treats that still taste great but ditch the high fructose ingredients. I have about 5 different types of seed and nut balls that I have in rotation but these are my favourite.
If you have enjoyed this recipe or have any suggestions I would love to hear from you. Just comment below. You can also follow Carly’s Recipe on Instagram @carlysrecipe