This slice is dubbed ‘the ultimate slice’ in our family. The combination of perfectly gooey caramel and rich chocolate over a crunchy base makes it almost irresistible.
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa*
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 125g butter melted
- 395g sweetened condensed milk*
- 2 Tb golden syrup
- 60g butter
- 200g milk chocolate* in pieces
- 50g copha chopped
- Base: Preheat oven to 180C. Line a slice tray (26cm x 16cm) with baking paper.
- In a large bowl sift flour and cocoa then add brown sugar, coconut and melted butter. Stir with a wooden spoon then press into lined slice tray.
- Bake for 15mins or until slightly browned.
- Caramel filling: Combine condensed milk, golden syrup and butter over a medium heat stirring constantly for 10 minutes or until the caramel goes a light tan colour (it will finish caramelising in the oven).
- Pour caramel over base and bake for 10 minutes.** The caramel should start to bubble a little and go golden.
- Chocolate top: Heat chocolate and copha either on the stove top or microwave on a low heat, stirring frequently until melted together.
- Pour over the caramel and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight.
*In my opinion it’s best to get quality brands for these ingredients. Particularly the chocolate as you will really taste it- if you wouldn’t eat it as is don’t cook with it. I find cheap brands of condensed milk to have a floury texture and the caramel doesn’t work as well as it should.
**For a snickers type slice sprinkle a couple handfuls roasted peanuts or other type of roasted nut over the cooked base before pouring the caramel over the top.
For a more decadent slice use a quality dark chocolate- great paired with roasted almonds as an after dinner treat.
If you have enjoyed this recipe or have any suggestions I would love to hear from you. Just comment below. You can also follow Carly’s Recipe on Instagram @carlysrecipe