Thai curry is one of the quickest and tastiest meals in our home. It takes less than 15 mins from start to finish and works well for left overs.
- 1 Tb peanut oil*
- 200g strips of beef
- 1 Tb Mae Ploy red curry paste**
- 3 heaped cups (or 1 large plate of a mix of veggies)***
- 1 can quality coconut cream
- 1 Tb brown sugar
- Fish sauce or salt to taste
- Extra water if needed (all veggies and meat differ so depending on how much water comes out of them you may need to add more water.)
- Cut veggies and into bite size pieces. Separate harder veggies that take longer to cook (eg carrot, onion, brocoli, steams of bok choy, cauliflower)
- Heat wok to hot.
- Add oil, and fry curry paste and any harder veggies for 2 minutes stiring constantly
- Add in meat and brown
- Add coconut cream and the rest of the veggies that don’t need as much cooking (bok choy leaves, beans, mushrooms baby corn etc)
- Simmer for 2-5 mins or until greens are just cooked but still crunchy.
Tips and tricks
*I use peanut oil as it withstands high temperatures and it doesn’t have a strong flavour. Any other oil is fine.
**You can generally buy May Ploy curry paste in single use pouches in the supermarket or from an Asian grocer. A whole tub is around $5 and you will get at least 10 curries from it.
***Example veggies: 1/4 onion, 1 carrot, 1 bok choy, 1/2 capsicum, handful of snow peas, 1/4 brocoli. You can use whatever you have on hand- cauliflower, mushrooms, beans, mini corn etc
We mix it up depending on how I am feeling as to what we serve the curry with. Jasmine or brown rice, cauliflower rice or just the curry as is. If we are short on time I put jasmine rice in a big microwave safe bowl in the microwave (rinse rice then 1 cup rice to 1 2/3 cups water) and microwave for 12 mins. I check it and if needed cook for another 1-3 mins. If I do this first then by the time the rice has finished then the curry is ready. Faster than any takeaway!!
If you have enjoyed this recipe or have any suggestions I would love to hear from you. Just comment below. You can also follow Carly’s Recipe on Instagram @carlysrecipe