Adding Spiced pears to a cheese platter will instantly bring a level of elegance and a personal touch. This gorgeous recipe is quick and easy to make but it looks so great you’ll impress yourself. Enjoy over the Christmas season or anytime really.
- Juice and rind of 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- 1/2 tsp black pepper corns
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 2 Tb honey
- 2 Tb caster sugar
- 1/4 cup port or wine of choice
- 3 large or 4 small pears peeled, cut in quarters and deseeded
- Place all ingredients in a large saucepan or pot and stir to combine.
- Turn heat up to a low simmer and continue to cook until mixture becomes thick and pears are soft (approximately 30 minutes).
- Allow to cool.
- Serve with cheese and crackers.
- If heat is too high and liquid evaporates before the pears have cooked through, add a little extra water to allow the pears more cooking time.
- Spiced pear mix keeps for up to 2 weeks in the fridge.
- Try serving spiced pears with camembert cheese, a soft blue cheese or vintage cheddar.
- For a refined sugar version then replace the sugar and honey with 1/3 cup of rice malt syrup.
- Around the festive season, they can be given as a beautiful gift in a little glass jar.
Spiced pear ingredients in the pot simmering away.
Subscribe Now and receive my FREE menu planner!